Twitter is a popular social media platform that allows users to create and share short messages called tweets. Users can also change their usernames, which are the unique identifiers that start with an @ symbol, such as @naijaphotovibes.
However, changing usernames can also create confusion and suspicion, especially if someone wants to find out the previous usernames of a user. For example, you might want to know if a user has changed their username to hide their identity, impersonate someone else, or avoid negative feedback.
Fortunately, there are some ways to find out the previous usernames of a Twitter user, depending on the situation and the information available.
In this article, we will show you how to use different methods to find the old usernames of a Twitter user and explain the advantages and limitations of each method.
Method 1: Use the Twitter API
The Twitter API is a set of tools that allows developers to access and manipulate data from Twitter. One of the features of the Twitter API is that it can retrieve the user ID of a Twitter user, which is a unique number that does not change even if the user changes their username.
Therefore, by using the user ID, you can find out the previous usernames of a user by looking at their mentions, which are the tweets that include their @username.
However, this method requires some technical skills and knowledge, as you need to use the Twitter API to make requests and parse the responses. You also need to have a Twitter developer account and an access token to use the API. Here are the steps to using this method:
- Request GET /2/users/by/username/:username with the user’s current username. This returns the user’s data, including a user.id field.
- Request GET /2/users/:id/mentions with the user ID from the last response. Navigate through all the mentions to see if the @username at the beginning of each tweet’s text changed to another handle in older tweets.
This method is useful if you want to find the previous usernames of a user who has been mentioned by other users, as the mentions will show the username at the time of the tweet. However, this method has some limitations, such as:
- It is not directly possible to ask the Twitter API for a user’s old usernames, but it might be possible in some cases.
- This will only work if other people replied to or mentioned this user while they still had their old username.
- You might need to go through a lot of mentions to find the old usernames, as some users might have changed their usernames multiple times or have a lot of mentions.
- You might not be able to find the old usernames of a user who has never been mentioned by other users, or who has deleted their old tweets or mentions.
Method 2: Use the email address associated with the Twitter account
Another way to find the previous usernames of a Twitter user is to use the email address that is associated with their Twitter account.
This is because Twitter usually sends emails to the user’s email address when they sign up, change their password, or perform other actions on their account. These emails often include the username of the user at the time of the email.
Therefore, by using the email address of the user, you can search for the emails sent from Twitter and look for the usernames in these emails. However, this method requires that you have access to the email address of the user, which might not be possible in some cases. Here are the steps to using this method:
- Navigate to the email inbox of the user and search for emails sent from Twitter, such as notifications, confirmations, or alerts.
- Look for the usernames in these emails, as they might be different from the current username of the user.
This method is useful if you have access to the email address of the user and they have not cleared their mailbox much, as you can find the old username from there. However, this method has some limitations, such as:
- You might not have access to the email address of the user, especially if they are not someone you know personally or professionally.
- The user might have changed their email address associated with their Twitter account, or have multiple email addresses for different purposes.
- The user might have deleted the emails from Twitter, or have opted out of receiving emails from Twitter.
Method 3: Use the Wayback Machine
The Wayback Machine is a website that archives snapshots of web pages over time. It allows you to see what a web page looked like in the past by entering the URL of the web page and choosing a date.
You can use the Wayback Machine to find the previous usernames of a Twitter user by entering the URL of their profile page and looking at the snapshots.
However, this method depends on the availability and quality of the snapshots, which might vary depending on the popularity and activity of the user. Here are the steps to using this method:
- Navigate to the Wayback Machine website at [https://web.archive.org/].
- Enter the URL of the user’s profile page, such as https://twitter.com/naijaphotovibes, and click on Browse History.
- Choose a date from the calendar or the timeline that shows the snapshots of the web page over time.
- Look at the snapshot of the web page and see if the username is different from the current username of the user.
This method is useful if you want to see what the user’s profile page looked like in the past, as the snapshots might show the old username of the user. However, this method has some limitations, such as:
- The Wayback Machine might not have snapshots of the user’s profile page, especially if the user is new, inactive, or has a private account.
- The snapshots might not be accurate or complete, as they might not capture all the elements of the web page, such as images, videos, or links.
- The snapshots might not be updated frequently, as they depend on the crawling and archiving process of the Wayback Machine, which might not be consistent or regular.
In this article, we have shown you how to find the previous usernames of a Twitter user using different methods, such as the Twitter API, the email address, and the Wayback Machine.
Each method has its own advantages and limitations, depending on the situation and the information available. You can use these methods to find out the old usernames of a user for various purposes, such as verifying their identity, tracking their activity, or investigating their behavior.
However, you should also respect the privacy and security of the user and not use these methods for malicious or illegal purposes.
We hope you find this article helpful and informative. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to contact us at [[email protected]]. Thank you for reading!