Audacity Audio Editing Software – Audacity Tutorial
Audacity Audio Editing Software is a free software used to remove background noise from Video and Audio files. Furthermore, you can easily filter your audio with this software. It’s an audio editor and recorder to easily filter audio noise.
It was explained that Audacity is a free open-source software, cross-platform audio editor, and recorder.
Audacity can record and play sounds and import and export WAV, AIFF, MP3, and OGG files. Also, Combine tracks or apply effects to your recordings using the cut, copy and paste features (with unlimited action tools).
Audacity has a built-in amplitude envelope editor, customizable spectrogram mode, and a frequency analysis window for audio analysis applications.
There are many ways by which we record audio perfectly without noise, e.g, the use of Mic. Moreso, one needs to consider the factors that cause noise during recording.
Turn off anything like Industrial fan, air condition, etc. Depending on your location, employ the use of a mic.
Background noise removal from a video is not easy. But with Audacity, It’s very easy.
- Record live digital audio
- Real-time preview
- Turn tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs
- Record computer playback on any Windows operating systems
- Cut, copy, splice or mix sound
- Audacity supports AC3, M4A / M4R (AAC), WMA and other formats using alternative libraries
- Edit WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3 or Ogg Vorbis sound files
- Multiple effects, including changing the speed or pitch of the recording
- You can import and export files in many formats through this application. But to access the full range of file format options, you need to download and install several additional programs and plugins.
- Audacity does not initially import or export WMA, AAC, AC3, or other proprietary or restricted file formats; Instead, an optional FFmpeg library is required.
- Audacity has no real-time effects for dynamic equalizer control and recording.
- Audacity only supports 32-bit or 64-bit VST audio effects plugins, depending on which architecture it is built for, but not both at the same time. It is built in 32-bit and 64-bit for Windows and macOS respectively.
Can Audacity Remove background noise?
Yes, Audacity is used to remove noise or sound like: hum, whine, whistle, fan noise, hiss, buzz, I assume you have an idea of what I mean. Which means you should not expect the software to remove a rowdy noise.
I will break it down, for better understanding. even if you are a novice, you will get to benefit from this article.
Audacity Audio Editing Software Tutorial Steps
Follow the step and settings bellow to remove background noise from your audio unit.
Download and install for Windows and macOS – Audacity
Firstly, export or convert the audio to waveform audio (wave). This involves the use of converting software like Movavi, Freemake audio converter, Freemake converter, Total audio converter, any video converter.
1. Launch Audacity software
2. Click OK
3. Drag and drop the wav audio into the running program
4. Wait for the audio to finish Importing.
5. Identify the noise by clicking (+) to Zoom in, The keyboard shortcut is (Ctrl+1)
6. Highlight the noise in the audio, click play to confirm if it’s really the noise you highlight.
7. Click Effect
8. From the drop-down menu Click Noise Reduction
9. Click get Noise Profile
10. Repeat steps 9 & 10, this time don’t click get noise profile, instead, click OK. The noise will then be removed only from the highlighted area. To remove the noise from all the audio, follow the next steps carefully.
11. Click anywhere in the area I circled in black, (screenshot below), doing this will select the whole audio.
12. Now click Effect again, From the drop-down menu, Click Repeat Noise Reduction. These will apply the noise reduction settings to the audio.
13. The final step,, is to Export the final result, click File. Click Export, from the drop-down menu, click export as wav
14. Lastly, choose the output location for the audio, press save and click OK
That’s all, audacity works like magic.
Note: The screenshot under step 11, I will explain the settings in my next article, because, wrong settings will even damage the audio further.
Now, I am sure you know how to remove background noise from an audio recording
Do you know you can also remove audio from audio online, Find out how? There is much audio noise removal software you can use to reduce noise from a video or plain audio.
In conclusion, I personally, will rank Audacity as one of the best audio noise reduction software ever developed. Big thanks to the Audacity team.